Saturday, October 4, 2014

"NOWHERE" is Defined! Source Unexpected


I always thought that "nowhere" was a vague, undefined concept.  The juxtaposition of the two words "no" and "where" pretty clearly implies that a "where",  i.e. a specific place, can not be determined.  My earliest remembered usage was when my father asked me on some occasions where I'd been and my reply was "nowhere". I also remember reading an article that contained a line referring to our most famed female aviator, the gist of which was "Amelia Earhart went on a flight to nowhere and her plane has never been found."  And then there's the "he's punching a one-way ticket to nowhere-ville" line that is commonly directed at the aimless ne'er do well, at least one of which we've all known.  In all these usages, it is plainly evident that no there is specific place related to the word nowhere.

 

Imagine my surprise then when several weeks ago the explicit location of nowhere was revealed on TV.  No, it wasn't on the Science or National Geographic channels.  And it wasn't Steven Hawking providing the answer to this long-pondered riddle. No, to my amazement, the answer was provided by Dan Fouts, former all Pro quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, on a nationally televised NFL Sunday game. A wide receiver had caught a pass behind the cornerback and was on his way to the goal line. The safety for the defense, who had correctly diagnosed the intent of the play from the get-go, reached out and poked the ball away from the ball carrier. It was subsequently recovered by the defense. On the slow motion replay, Mr Fouts proclaimed with great enthusiasm - "the safety came out of NOWHERE and caused the turnover".  Who knew that nowhere would turn out to be a place so close to the action focal point.  So it's logical to conclude that the location of nowhere is a position of proximity (less than 5 yards in this case) by one body,  in relation to another similar body, and also behind that body.  

This definition is supported by a subsequent reference to "nowhere" I heard in a replay of a 1990s playoff game featuring the Chicago Bulls vs. the NY Knicks. In this example, the Knicks' John Starks had achieved penetration to the basket and attempted a short floater.  Shadowing Starks was the incomparable Michael Jordan, unbeknownst to the enterprising Knick. Starks' attempt was swatted into the 7th row shortly after it left his hand by the NBA's best ever.  The color analyst on the broadcast, whose name I can't conjure up at the moment, lamented that Jordan had come out of NOWHERE to dash the hopes  Knicks' fans had for an easy bucket.  Jordan was slightly closer to the offensive player than the safety had been in my prior example but the locations are still very similar.

I must admit that my elation at solving this riddle is tempered by the fact that the mystery has been removed from the term. Yet I can take solace in the promise this revelation carries with it. After all, it could lead to finding out where Miss Earhart's plane wound up.  I suppose someone could now figure out where I had been prior to avoiding my father's inquiries regarding my whereabouts as well.  I doubt, however, that anyone would be interested in locating nowhere-ville.  After all, who wants to hang out with a bunch of lazy people going to, uh, some unspecified, unrewarding place.

No comments:

Post a Comment