Tuesday, June 2, 2015


There's At Least One Thing I Like About Chambers Bay


Chambers Bay has NO par threes over water!  None!  Zilch!

I know there are some great par 3s over water:  the 12th at Augusta; the 16th at Cypress Point; the 4th at Baltusrol; the 17th at TPC Sawgrass (regardless of your opinion of this hole, it always provides great drama and entertainment).  But so many American courses now depend on this format that it has become tiresome and trivial. It's refreshing to see our national championship will be played on a course that doesn't rely on one of these type holes.

In addition, the 18th hole does not have water running entirely down one of its sides. I'm sick of that type of hole too.  Now I'm just hoping for a competitive weekend, unlike last year where Kaymer removed all the suspense from the ending.  Darn Kraut!  (I'm of German extraction so I get to say that;  I think so, anyway).

And yes, I'm aware that Pinehurst #2 had no water holes either. 

And while we're at it, what's so special about Medinah, a course that has nothing BUT par 3s with water.   BORING.

No comments:

Post a Comment